IDEA is a global trade association comprised of organizations dedicated to quality initiatives that provide Responsible Procurement Solutions™ to the supply chain. IDEA employs a comprehensive approach that focuses on programs and best practices that establish and increase quality standards, provide industry with a conduit to improve the access to and sharing of relevant knowledge, and advance industry ethics and integrity.
The foundation of these solutions resides within the sustained leadership of IDEA Members in the implementation of quality standards, certifications, best practices, and counterfeit detection methods as well as the cooperation and education of all stakeholders responsible for procurement and inspection practices and policies. IDEA seeks to fulfill this mission through the development and dissemination of relevant standards, training, and certification programs.
When you deal with an IDEA Member, you deal with integrity. IDEA represents Members who continuously demonstrate their adherence to the rigorous compliance requirements and certifications that distinguish them as dedicated to the level of quality, service, and ethical standards that are required today. Our Members also offer a further safeguard: IDEA-QMS-9090 Certification. IDEA Members exclusively receive this important quality certification and empower industry stakeholders with a reliable means to responsibly and securely procure quality electronic components from the Open Market.
Many customers struggle to identify suppliers that share their same quality and ethical standards. Ensuring that your company utilizes IDEA Members as approved vendors can assist your company with identifying Responsible Procurement Solutions™ that enhance your counterfeit mitigation efforts.
It is of significant importance to note that IDEA Membership is not subscription based; it is an earned Membership. Companies are accepted into membership only after meeting stringent requirements and receiving a confirmation by the IDEA Membership and Ethics Oversight Committee that is comprised of a highly recognized peer group.
Board of Trustees Webpage
Activities and Notable Contributions Listing Criteria
Activities and notable contributions are considered items conducted above and beyond the regular duties of the Board of Trustees and IDEA Committees. To add an activity or notable contribution item to a Trustee's listing on the Board of Trustees webpage, at least one of the following criteria items must be met:
It is of significant importance to note that IDEA Membership is not subscription based; it is an earned membership. Companies are accepted into membership only after meeting all requirements and receiving a confirmation by the IDEA Membership and Ethics Oversight Committee that is comprised of a highly recognized peer group.
When you do business with an IDEA Member, you are assured that the company:
- Maintains a demonstrated, sophisticated, and continually improving Quality Management System (QMS) and is certified to IDEA-QMS-9090: Quality Management System Standard for Independent Distributors of Electronics Association Members.
- In order to assess the Independent Distributor's ability to meet customer requirements applicable to the service that the Independent Distributor provides, certification to the Standard is mandatory for all Independent Distributors that are Members of IDEA. Conversely, only Independent Distributors that are Members of IDEA may become certified to IDEA-QMS-9090
- The objective of this commercial Standard is to establish specific requirements and practices Independent Distributors of electronic components can use to help ensure that they satisfy their customers' requirements. These requirements and practices serve to address many of the unique aspects of the Independent Distribution of Electronics industry which are not addressed in other QMS standards.
- To enhance the compatibility of IDEA-QMS-9090 with the ISO 9001 International Standard and to facilitate effective integration with existing ISO 9001 Quality Management Systems, IDEA has incorporated the numbering system and section titles of ISO 9001:2008 with the permission of the International Organization for Standardization (ISO).
- Is active in advancing the quality and ethical standards of the industry.
- Has incorporated IDEA-STD-1010: Acceptability of Electronic Components Distributed in the Open Market into its QMS.
- IDEA-STD-1010 was developed for the inspector to compare the characteristics of a part under inspection with the photographs and information of what is defined in the Standard as acceptable. It is the first of its kind in the industry as well as the first industry-consensus-based standard to assist independent distributors and their customers in determining acceptable product based upon non-destructive visual inspection. It also includes a comprehensive introduction to the industry and its internal mechanisms that provides an excellent foundation for purchasing and/or procurement personnel as well. The IDEA-STD-1010 is comprised of approximately 250 pages, including numerous full-color photographs, and provides integral information for inspectors to ascertain conditions for acceptance vs. rejection.
- Maintains a Moisture Sensitivity Level management program that is documented in its QMS and training program.
- Holds at a minimum both ISO 9001 and ANSI/ESD S20.20 certifications.
- Has agreed to abide by the IDEA Code of Ethics.
- Maintains Product Liability Insurance at a minimum of $1 million per incident and $2 million aggregate annually.
- Has at least one (1) IDEA-ICE-3000 Certified Professional Inspector at each inspection location around the world.
- In its six years of existence, the IDEA-ICE-3000 Professional Inspector Certification Exam has garnered industry recognition for providing a validated source for the demonstration of competency in inspection skills, knowledge of industry best practices and standards, and research skills. In doing so, the IDEA-ICE-3000 Exam increases the confidence of both customers and employers in the quality of electronic components and provides a valuable tool in the fight against the proliferation of substandard and counterfeit components.
- When a company has ensured that their personnel who conduct visual inspection of product from the excess market have been tested and certified to IDEA-ICE-3000, the company's stakeholders are provided objective evidence and cause for increased confidence in the achievement of customer satisfaction and increased marketability of their products and services.
- Maintains a minimum equipment list as defined by IDEA-STD-1010
For a printable version of this information, please click here.