The Independent Distributors of Electronics Association (IDEA)
Why join IDEA?
Is your company focused on quality initiatives and ready to take your commitment to continuous improvement to the next level? Learn more about General Membership and how your company can apply to join other innovative industry leaders dedicated to advancing industry quality, education, and standards.
The industry recognizes that IDEA Members:
- Maintain a demonstrated, sophisticated, and continually improving Quality Management System (QMS) and is certified to IDEA-QMS-9090: Quality Management System Standard for Independent Distributors of Electronics Association Members.
- Are active in advancing the quality and ethical standards of the industry.
- Incorporate the inspection process of IDEA-STD-1010: Acceptability of Electronic Components Distributed in the Open Market into its QMS.
- Maintain a Moisture Sensitivity Level management program that is documented in its QMS and training programs.
- Hold at a minimum both ISO 9001 and ANSI/ESD S20.20. certifications.
- Agree to abide by the IDEA Code of Ethics
- Maintain Product Liability Insurance at a minimum of $1 million per incident and $2 million aggregate annually.
- Have at least one (1) IDEA-ICE-3000 Certified Professional Inspector at each inspection location around the world.
- Maintain a minimum equipment list as defined by IDEA-STD-1010
Exclusive Membership Benefits
In addition to the industry recognition an IDEA Member receives that distinguishes the company as an elite organization dedicated to quality, Members also receive these additional benefits.
- IDEA-ICE-3000 Professional Inspector Certification (available only to IDEA Member Companies, OEMs, EMS Providers, and government entities)
- Exclusive Members Only content on the IDEA website
- Unlimited electronic access to IDEA standards and publications
- Industry update and best practices webinar program
- Regular electronic issues of The Independent, the official newsletter for IDEA Members
- Exclusive committee participation for standards creation, industry liaisons and action, and more
Qualified Program Participant Company Program
The Qualified Program Participant Company (QPPC) Program was developed to encourage designated participation in IDEA for companies that are not Independent Distributors. The QPPC Program expands access to IDEA’s products and services and broadens the reach of its highly detailed standards that help organizations to develop and maintain their counterfeit mitigation efforts.The QPPC Program has launched for Test Services Companies, the first category of many other company categories in development. For the QPPC – Test Services Program
, an applicant company must meet a comprehensive and rigorous set of requirements, including the requirement to maintain IDEA-ICE-3000 Professional Inspector Certifications, and the applicant company must be approved by the Membership and Ethics Oversight Committee.